Church History


   The Pleasant Point Baptist Church is believed to be one of the first churches in the Kings Mountain area. The church was started as a missionary church by the Double Spring Baptist Church in Waynesburg, KY. The recorded minutes of 1811 Cumberland River Baptist association meeting , list Pleasant Point Baptist as being one of the five churches that joined the association since 1809. The Lincoln County Baptist association list Pleasant Point as being formed in 1811. The Church has some records that date back to 1860, when S.F. Blankenship was received as a new member by letter. All records before this date were destroyed in a fire at the home of Mac Walls

     The first church was a log building that stood between the two cedar trees in the present day cemetery. In 1882 Thompson Routin donated land to the church on the west side of the cemetery. The deed for this site list the name of the church as the United Baptist Church Of Jesus Christ at Pleasant Point. Sometimes in 1883 the old log church was torn down and a new church was built at this this location. It is believed that the logs from the old church building were given to church members and used in some of the local buildings. The old church site is now filled with numerous graves. The new structure was a wood frame building with white board siding. The old church was built with two single doors, which was a typical design of that day. In 1943 under the leadership of Charles Jenkins the entrance was changed to a single double door opening in the center of the church.

     In 1949 , under the leadership of Rev. F.H.  Albritten, the congregation voted to build a new church. The old frame building was replaced with new brick structure. In 1963, while Vernon Clark was pastor, Sunday school rooms were added to the west side of the building . Then in 1993, while Rev. James Kelly was the pastor, the front of the building was removed and a new front was adde  in 2007 the church completed the construction of a new Fellowship Hall in the old parsonage lot. During the 2007 home coming service the new Hall was dedicated and the first meals were served. The church has a home coming celebration on Sunday of every Memorial day weekend. The church is planning a 200 year celebration in 2001